Job Type: Full-Time
Minimum Years of Experience Required: 5 Years
Minimum Years of Education Required: High School/GED
Salary Range: Competitive-Commensurate with Experience to / Hourly
Must be Authorized to Work in the US
Capitol Boiler Works is first and foremost a mechanical service/contracting company offering true 24/7/365 service in all mechanical crafts. We are a well established Regional company serving Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and parts of West Virginia and Delaware. Our primary focus is commercial and industrial customers in this region, with a specialty in property management companies. Capitol Boiler Works is a privately held company based in Springfield Virginia, serving the Region since 1936.
Capitol Boiler Works prides itself not only on emergency service but on long term relationships with our customers. We appreciate the customers who continue to provide us the opportunity to serve their needs and help them in their energy making decisions.
POSITION REPORTS TO:VP Operations/Service Advisor
Capitol Boiler Works, Inc., established in 1936, is searching for an experienced Commercial HVAC Technician.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Installs, troubleshoots and repairs heating, air conditioning and refrigeration units, including chillers, boilers and heat pumps.
- Troubleshoots malfunctioning heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems to determine the cause of the malfunction.
- Performs scheduled maintenance inspections, and adjusts, cleans and calibrates various systems to assure proper system operations.
- Repairs wiring and electronic components associated with automated building management systems.
- Replaces expansion valves, compressors, motors, coil units and other component parts.
- Cleans refrigerant systems from hermetic burnouts, evacuates, and charges systems.
- Troubleshoots and repairs direct digital and pneumatic control systems.
- Checks distribution systems for proper velocity, volume, temperature, pressure, etc.
- Balances air and water treatment systems.
- Determines cause of and corrects condensation problems.
- Provides technical assistance with the design of HVAC systems including installations and modifications to existing systems.
- Assists in training other technicians and staff in preventative maintenance of HVAC systems.
- Prepares records and reports describing procedures, actions taken and recommended solutions.
- Prepares and submits requests for supplies and equipment.
- Responds to emergency service requests.
- Supervise work of other technicians
- Supervise an assigned work crew.
- Assist in scheduling HVAC work crews.
- Estimate projects for sales engineers.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible experience working with complex HVAC systems.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, plans, sketches, blueprints, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Licensed HVAC certification required
- Possession of a valid appropriate driver’s permit
- Pass a driver pre-screening through the company’s insurance carrier
- Pass pre-employment drug screening
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is regularly required to stand.
- The employee must be physically able to operate a variety of machinery and equipment including electronic and diagnostic tools, recovery equipment and other HVAC equipment.
- Must be able to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus and to differentiate between colors and shades of color.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Some exposure to potentially harmful chemicals or materials may occur.
This is a job description and not an individualized position description. A job description defines the general character and scope of duties and responsibilities of all positions in a job classification, but it is not intended to describe and does not necessarily list the essential job functions for a given position in a classification.
- AFLAC Plan
- Paid Vacation/2 weeks per year
- Paid Holidays/7 per year